Wednesday, August 10, 2016

convert youtube etc to mp3

I like paying for music. 99 cents to 1.29 a pop is fine, being able to pay for almost any song as a single without all the B-side ballast of a full album is a wonder of the modern age. (And then keeping access to the music, without monthly subscription fees, is also a plus, though I kind of see why some people like the selection they offer.)

Anyway, some songs I just can't find on legit pay download sites as much as I'd like to send the artists a token amount... most often stuff from other countries. (With Apple Music (or my past self hosing) my collection a bit lately, there are a few cases where I'll have to do this again) But Youtube is more international than Amazon or the Apple Music store, so when my only option is a youtube video I have had good luck with convert2mp3.net. In the past, it seemed like youtube was playing "wack-a-mole" and disabling services as they popped up, but this one has been stable and reliable for at least a few years now.

2020 Update: Alas that site is no more, but https://my3tube.com/vimeo-to-mp3/ and https://ytmp3.cc/en13/ seemed to be carrying the slack. But PLEASE people - look to pay 99 cents or whatever first, artists need love. When I recently went back to grab songs on my "try to record from youtube on tablet to audacity via usb mic thing" I found 2 of the 12 or so were available to pay for, so I did...

2021 UPDATE: hm, that ytmp3.cc site is giving me mp3s that for some reason Apple Music and Audacity don't quite recognize? But I got ffmpeg and running `ffmpeg -i oldfile.mp3 newfile.mp3` seems to work fine....
 
2022 Footnote... I still fall back to YTMP3 but a tumblr entry mentioned y2mate. But honestly these days my favorite tool is Audio Hijack for Mac - for pieces under ten minutes you can use the free version, set what app you are "listening" for, and it can record everything from that app into a file. This has let me grab a soundtrack out of Hulu and other services that don't have ripping services - the only catch is you need to make sure every other tab is quiet, and then time things carefully or be willing to trim the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment