Saturday, January 20, 2018

gruber's 2002-era daring fireball

I was a fairly late switcher to Mac (2013 or so, with some dabbling beforehand) so reading 2002 Daring Fireball's That Finder Thing - the then new-ish OSX paradigm for navigating the file system, was interesting - it's still a bit of a hybrid mess now to be honest, and I could see that a return to a "spatially-oriented" paradigm, where a given folder (and its view) could only exist at one place on the screen, so to speak - would have been cool - though  I don't understand if you can navigate down to a subfolder without leaving a trail of containing folders in its wake...

I think it was something about the demise of of Textism's Dean Allen led me to this page, where Gruber talks about the origin of Daring Fireball, especially the name.)

No comments:

Post a Comment