Tuesday, August 4, 2020

conventionally committing

My current team has adopted the Conventional Commits standard, a way of bringing some of the chaos and messiness to heel.

The format is:
<type>[optional scope]: <description>

[optional body]

[optional footer(s)]
where type is fix: feat: build: chore:, ci:, docs:, style:, refactor:, perf:, test:, etc. And I think description is meant to be imperative, "do ___". So the example on that page:

feat(parser): add ability to parse arrays

(I'm mostly making this entry to remind myself of the name, "Conventional" has poor mental stickiness for me, and by putting something on my blog I have easy access to both the term and then the example...)

UPDATE: we started using commitzen to walk us through the format. `npm run commit -- --retry` has been a godsend tho, for when a test or lint thing makes the commit fail...

No comments:

Post a Comment