Wednesday, June 27, 2012

quick note on tables

I've been slammed at work and not updating this site as much, though I have two biggish posts planned: a followup to my previous discussion about table layout, and the results from a hackathon my company ran the other week.

So I have put out arguments that tables solve more problems than they cause, but the accursed IE8 through up a counterargument... in short it looks like using colspans on rows before rows with items that have set widths may lead to frustrating results. A temporary fix was moving the "offending" colspan to its own table, but I refer my future self to this stackoverflow discussion that describes how setting "table-layout:fixed;" and a placeholder row explicitly setting widths, before the colspan, seems to lead to the correct behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment