Monday, December 13, 2021

notes for future tiny gif animations for backpacks

 I bought a Pix backpack, it has a 16x20 grid of squares on its surface and comes with an app you can sideload looping animations from, as well as edit your own.

Recently I've had fun success using it band events; as a standalone billboard, or as part of my costume (for halloween or for Winter-y "blinky light parades". 

But I just realized: A. there's a feature to load an arbitrary GIF animation into the app (but it has to be sized to 16x20) B. this bag can display far more colors than the 16 that are baked into the app's editor. 

This is exciting! I have enough tools w/ P5 and what not to make my own animations. The Pix app also lets you just type in some text to scroll, but it's rather plain and boring. 

16x20 is going to be a serious challenge, though... like just over a quarter of the pixels I had in my 40x30 small gif cinema.

Anyway, I don't like talking about projects when still in nascent stages, but I just wanted to grab some links before closing my browser window for now - here is a tutorial for making smoothly looping animations (in Processing, I'm sure the same idea is easy to switch into P5) and more importantly here is making GIFs in P5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment