Friday, April 29, 2022

john coltrane and visualizing music theory

A new coworker mentioned how the idea of state machines really resonated for him, he liked to build interactive things out of them, and played around with XState. I was able to remember how important going formal was as I used a state machine for an browser/server card game port I made early in quarantine, though I mostly just used switch/case statements.

My coworker followed it up with this tweet about a state machine describing John Coltrane's Giant Steps... fun to see and listen to!

I'm not smart or patient enough to really get intellectual jazz but it's hard not to admire John Coltrane - so much deep theory based music can be kind of sterile, but he manages to still bridge to even casual audiences. 

Famously he made this diagram and gave the drawing to saxophonist and professor Yusef Lateef about progressions... if you've ever taken music theory you've probably heard about this and things like the "Circle of Fifths"...


Here's a medium piece about some spinoffs, and other tangents and deep dives.

No comments:

Post a Comment