Thursday, October 13, 2022

automated visual regression testing across devices via browserstack and percy

 My company is looking into using Browserstack's Tool Percy for automating testing, plugging it into CICD so that PR's all do a snapshot audit across components and pages.

It's a win - and I love testing holistic final products, not reductionistic units, though I worry it doesn't cover interactions very well... 

Also I worry about the cost. One plan has 200,000 snapshots but I worry that might be exhausted more quickly than you expect, because of the geometrical permutations from different components and pages, different browsers and devices, and multiple PR (especially if each commit in an open PR retriggers the build process...) Feels like when you have a cellphone plan without quite enough data...

No comments:

Post a Comment