Wednesday, November 16, 2022

nothing is forever. even on the internet.


Thinking of "Twitter 2" and my sudden disinclination to rely on their "embed" feature; I wonder how committed they will be to preserving the viability of "legacy" links and embeds... I mean that's part of what let twitter be at the headwaters of other media, it's paradigm was the quotable soundbite, and that quoting could be done EITHER by copy paste (usually with a link) or embed.

And I see that with all kinds of video I've embedded on my blog, especially video (both youtube videos gone private, and then entire services like Vine gone away)

That kind of linkrot makes me sad. Just reminds me of the old school optimism of how "URLs should be forever", like that somehow the (on paper) possibility of endless, perfect duplication meant the brave new "Information Superhighway" of the Internet would be proof against entropy and organizational decay. 

Well, to quote the old Usenet (remember that?) group alt.folklore.computers: "We're all soldiers in the war against entropy."

No comments:

Post a Comment