Sunday, April 2, 2023

rsync using old ssh protocol

So, after I upgraded my Mac, I lost the ability to easily ssh into my old server, which I guess only supports ssh-rsa and ssh-dss (The server is overdue for an update but is still getting security patches so my admins recommend putting off the inevitably painful upgrade)

ssh -oHostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-rsa

works as a replacement for my ssh command as does its equivalent for sftp, but I guess rsync is more something that piggybacks on ssh? So the equivalent command (well the alias I'm using for it) is

alias rsyncfix="rsync -e 'ssh -oHostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-rsa'"

Sigh. I really am old school with so much. I just like folders of folders with my files that I can backup manually, and that goes for my personal data as well as what I have going on my server. I just like seeing bits and bytes on hardware that I control, not somewhere out there in cloudspace though I know there are advantages...

And while we're talking old unix command, here's my old favorite disk-usage du command:

du -hs * | sort -hr

Just shows you the summary of each top level folder (or file), with human readable labels (ie. M, G etc not just bytes) and sorted biggest to least.

No comments:

Post a Comment