Wednesday, July 12, 2023

high tech the emporer has no clothes vs FOMO

Github blog on keeping up with big shifts in tech. Two of the big takeaways from the participant's history for me were:

1. Object Oriented Program regret

2. But later, regret on not jumping on React sooner. 

The anti-OOP feeling reminds me of the classic Object Oriented Programming Oversold! geocities page. In a way that dead page inspires me when I feel like a curmudgeon shaking my fist against a landscape with way too much flavor of the month.

I also feel like a little bit of a hypocrite, I have great stories about my personal projects (especially my porchfest websites) - performant, long-lasting, lots of UX challenges met - but the code base is laughably out of step with what I do for work (and always tempts me to fire up "Taking PHP Seriously" and its descendent posts) - but then I see something like Javascript Gom Jabbar (named after a point scifi torture device) that is a deep dive into the myriad painpoints of a modern JS project's "package.json" and I don't know if I should be grateful that I avoid those pitfalls in most of my projects, or sad that I'm weak and flabby for not having more practice with them outside of a work context.

But the way how two of the respondents regretted avoid React in its early incarnation... interesting. Like, React smelled so much better than Angular, and the idea of declarative programming has such a beauty to it, that I was able to embrace it with few of my normal reservations. (That said, I still prefer to turn to declerative programming in Vanilla JS when I have that kind of problem for side projects, but still...)

No comments:

Post a Comment