Tuesday, October 25, 2016

low contrast ain't so easy on the eyes

How the Web Became Unreadable - the tl;dr is that too many sites are using gray text on somewhat lighter gray backgrounds - that in theory this makes thing "gentler" on the eyes but for many just makes things harder to read. My comment was:
I have sympathy for people who struggle with what is almost certainly a designer trend kind of thing, done just to make a page feel a bit more hip. I’m crossing my fingers that the trend doesn’t take a cue from AMOLED-tuned screens and start putting light text on black or very dark backgrounds; for many people with astigmatism, that’s a recipe for dancing afterimages everywhere. (To the extent that sometimes I “Select All” text on a dark site in the hopes that the selected text background is a more balanced color.)
So, here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment