Sunday, June 17, 2018

shade in the usa

 With the caveats that IQ tests are problematic, I made a potentially reusable tool to put state data on a USA map, seeding it with Inc.'s We Compared the Average IQ Scores in All 50 States, and the Results Are Eye-Opening.

Because I am a partisan jerk, I was curious if it would reflect the political divisions of our nation. Nope, though there is a maybe even more problematic latitude correlation.


The code is JQuery-ish and hacky, but it solved some fun Google/stackoverflow challenges, like "how do I make a colored map of the USA?" (US Map JQuery Plugin) "How do I convert a number from one range to another?" (I was amused that my PHP recreation of Processing's .map() function was actually valid javascript as well) "how do I convert state names to abbreviations? (US states in JSON Gist), "how do I get a hex RGB value from 3 decimal values?" (relevant stackoverflow)

No comments:

Post a Comment