Wednesday, May 20, 2020

second-guessing the modern web

Apparently making the rounds, Tom MacWright's Second-guessing the modern web.

I've been talking with many folks doing my job interviewing (mercifully drawing to an end) as well as doing a small pile of mini-projects, and the whole question of what makes a good back end and what makes a good frontend is very much on my mind, and I appreciate this semi-contrarian view.

I wonder if I'm a little insensitive to render performance, or if some people are too uptight about it. Even the level of React's Virtual DOM - my new online card game does something like declarative rendering, but just raw, and for smallish updates there's no sense of flicker, even though the whole UI is being erased and built back up.

(See also Rich Harris' rebuttal)

No comments:

Post a Comment