Saturday, May 11, 2019

human physiology and the art of way too much bass

I needed some new headphones and when I was perusing the options at Best Buy I discovered Skullcandy Crusher Wireless Immersive Bass Headphones. These have powered built-in subwoofers and sport a physical lever that goes from "Not Quite Enough Bass" to "WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH BASS" - like you're at the restroom at a dance club and the pile of dancefloor speakers is just on the other side of the cinderblock wall.

I'm a tuba player, and I don't know if my affection for bass springs from that, or if it's a special case of how I like things that are easy to "read" without paying attention to nuance. Research supports the idea that Bass makes you feel powerful, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say bass-y head phones (especially combined with my "Psyched" mix at work) is a form of self-therapy. (More on our love of and response to bass.)

No comments:

Post a Comment