Sunday, June 30, 2019

MacOS: crop an MP4 video with MPEG Streamclip

NOTES TO FUTURE SELF:
My SO wanted to crop a screen recording video where it was a fullscreen browser, but the interaction was on a small part of the screen.

There are probably multiple ways of doing this but the most straight forward seemed to be good ol' MPEG Streamclip, a free Mac + Windows program from http://www.squared5.com/

I right clicked to open the MP4 video with Streamclip, selected "Export to MPEG-4", and there is a cropping section:

Turned out better not to mess with Frame Size (leaving it at "1920 x 1080 (Unscaled)") and then making sure the Cropping's final select was "Destination". I had to guesstimate the cropping numbers a bit, so I used "Preview" to check the work, and then interrupted that and did "Make MP4"

(Note: the version of MPEG Streamclip I use is threatening me with the "won't work with future versions of MacOS" warning (i.e. it's 32 bit vs 64) and it looks like its been a while since it has been updated, so Caveat Emptor or whatever Emptor is for someone grabbing free software.)

No comments:

Post a Comment