Monday, November 25, 2019

only connect? nah, bro

Apple Is Designing for a Post-Facebook World - I'm thinking about this in terms of the IDGuy video on the Apple Watch I posted the other day, the one complaining about watches bossing us around and making our schedules of human activity for us. I find that even more pointedly here in this link:
A similar thing happens with updates to how iOS handles photos. For years, Apple has been able to spot the faces of friends and family in photos you took on the iPhone. But now, if you view a photo with friends inside, Apple will suggest you message it to those same friends. That’s because the OS is thinking in terms of relationships. It knows you very well want to share a photo with friends in it with those friends.
I really find that kind of thinking intrusive... and I'm not a huge privacy guy. Like I could imagine a human assistant doing that kind of thing, but until we had some thing with a human-seeming touch, rather than just a neural net clever algorithm, it's going to be "Guess-What-I-Mean", pushy jerk of a UI, and not worth the privacy we give up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment