Wednesday, March 22, 2023

the software engineer is dead! (?) long live the software developer!

On a Slack community I frequent, someone linked The Death of Software Engineering. Here was my response:

  1. I'm trying to think about where my struggle with learning and finding a new deployment paradigm for web apps fits in. Like my flow hasn't changed much since the late 90s, a quarter century - make interactive website/apps by writing scripts that run under apache on a server I pay someone else to admin. Its gone from Perl CGI to PHP, the server is now a private VPS, and the front ends might have more JS flavoring but the core is the same. I do feel there's a small legion of folks more fluent in deployment... though at some point (and this might be what keeps me stuck) it's a business thing. I have fixed costs with my setup in a way I might not if I experimented with more modern approaches
  2. The way that article conflates "OOP" and "Reusable Code" is weird. Maybe I'm channeling the old Object-Oriented Programming Oversold guy - but I don't see why the two conflated. At least in the UI world, the more interesting form of reusable code is the tendency to say "there's an npm module for that!" and taking on lots and lots of libraries even when in some of the cases it might be more expedient to roll a bit more of your own functionality...


No comments:

Post a Comment