Tuesday, March 14, 2023

tweaking vs code and some plugins I like

 So first, a disclaimer: I have no idea who or what vets VS Code plugins-  like it feels like the wild west a bit, and you have to have the same kind of trust you have for npm packages...

(Tangent to the disclaimer... does anyone else pronounce it "versus code"? No? Just me? Must be the early Nintendo influence)

Anyway, "Error Lens" seems like a nicer form of error display (and honestly it's the errors that make TypeScript such a slog... allegedly it makes up for the time spent early on in the long run, but I have my doubts.)

Like here is the inline warning: 


 GitLens seems to be a popular way of doing "git blame" and the like.

"Peacock" lets you "subtly" change the color of your worksplace - like mostly the frame, so you don't have to adjust your eyes to new colors for code.

Finally, here's a guide to change the VS code app icon. Frankly, that weird "fish in a tank" icon, with its default mid-blue on white, looks too much like half a dozen other icons, and the lack of connection of the icon to"V" or "S" or "Code" is just bizarre, and was providing my brain with no hooks for it. 

(The VS Code icon - here's its history, which only touches on the "fish" look that has (allegedly) offended at least one person as Christian imagery...)

For what it's worth I think I like the icon shown on the left here: I use a lighter background so I don't want the black icon, and some how googly eyes (making it look a bit like Clippy I guess?) provide the mental hook I was craving to quickly find the icon on the dock or cmd-tab list.


No comments:

Post a Comment