Thursday, June 1, 2023

keeping it real

 Mastodon post about important sites aimed at people experiencing poverty taking multiple MB of JS to load even the very first view.

I'm sometimes discouraged by the gap between the technology I am skilled in for work and what I will put together for a quick personal project. But crufty old technologies still get a lot of things right by default- and in terms of maintainability over years and even decades, they make up for their costs in bespoke weirdness by having a reduced cross section in what frameworks you need to know.

There are absolutely more modern technologies that can get to the same place in terms of not shipping the factory down the wire just to display the showroom (next.js doing static rendering, etc) - but it takes thought and time that people disposed to the "kitchen sink approach" (that, say, create-react-app gives you by default) won't necessarily want to apply.

I am on a job hunt for a UI Engineering role, remote or in the Boston area, where I can use my React and TypeScript abilities (or potentially even the older ones if that's how your company rolls!) to make terrific user experiences, so if you think I might be a fit for your place let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment